We have this one precious life to live, to give, to make a dent…in the Universe, and I am astounded at the power we have to change not only our lives but the lives of others, too.
Over the years, I have found myself asking questions like…
Can we really make a difference? Can we make a dent? Does what we do really matter?
The answer is an astounding YES. More than you ever imagined.
If you think the way you live life is not making an impact on those around you, if you think you cannot make a difference, think again. When you live your life in a way that it spills over, the hopes, the dreams, the joy, the positivity, MAGIC happens.
They went out and happened to things.
-Leonardo Da Vinci
It may not be something you notice right away, but in time, these things can have a profound effect on not only your life but the lives of those around you. Profound. A seriously PROFOUND effect. I have personally seen some amazing changes that defy even diagnosed illnesses. We have the power to change more than we ever dreamed possible. And it gets a little easier the more you do it. I have seen people with a neurological illness who struggle with anxiety and severe angst toward others reduce these struggles tremendously in their life. They even say it is much easier now than it used to be for them to be this positive person, even though the disease is steadily progressing and affecting their brain and every nerve in their body.
Friends, this is POWERFUL stuff. It is a wonderful thing to know you played even a small part in something like that. And I am forever thankful for the people that I was able to take little peeks into their lives and see a different way to live. And I repeat, none of us is living this way because our lives are easy. We tend to think when we see positive, life-giving people that their lives are easier than ours. Most of the time their lives are just as hard. Sometimes even harder.
Attitudes are contagious. Is the one you have now the one you want to go around spreading? Is your awesomesauce so amazing that it is contagious? Do you want to spread that awesomesauce to your children, your friends, or even to chance encounters from someone you may meet online?
10 Ways to Be Contagious in an Epic Kind of Way
- Read or listen to something positive every day. I cannot emphasize this one enough. Every day. Read inspirational books. Watch webinars. Listen to podcasts. Just like we feed our bodies food every day, we need to nurture our brain with good and healthy thoughts ever day. What you feed into your mind daily is so much more important than you realize.
- Take every thought captive. We have the power to change the channel. No, it’s not always easy, but it does get easier the more you practice it. Don’t let your thoughts happen to you. You happen to your thoughts. Change the channel. Negative thinking is not a luxury that any of us can afford. When we change our thoughts, we change our lives.
- Get excited about life. Be SO excited about life that it is contagious. If you are not excited about life, get excited. REALLY excited. Ridiculously excited. Life is pretty amazing. Start noticing that and celebrating it. Let that spill over. It is amazing how contagious that can be. Have you ever been around someone and you immediately pick up on their mood? You can physically feel it. Ever notice how the music in a movie can immediately change how you feel? Thoughts and attitudes have actual physical effects on us. Be the person who is spreading positivity, joy, and excitement. Sometimes we must stir these feelings up in ourselves. That will not make them any less genuine, because the feelings will follow.
- Speak great things over the people you care about. We are all so starved for that.
- Share positive things. It could be a quote, a good book, a webinar, or an article you read. Share it.
- Be a giver. Life is lived outside of ourselves. Find a cause you are passionate about. Or just make a decision to get involved in something that you think you might like…even if it is hard. We have found that these were life-changing experiences for us. Giving does not leave you in the same place it found you.
- Do epic stuff. Live your dreams. Write your bucket list. When you do epic stuff, it makes others feel like they can do epic stuff. Do things with your tribe. There are even free things to do. And do epic things with your kids.
- Limit the bad stuff you expose yourself to. This includes what we watch on television, the news, and negative people who affect you more than you are affecting them. Even the commercials are awful. Sometimes, limiting your exposure to things means certain people, too. Some people just want to stay the way they are. If you are in the ocean trying to doggy paddle to the shore and trying to save the person who is next to you, and they want nothing to do with being saved, chances are you will both drown. And there are only two people in the world I would be willing to drown trying to save. And I gave birth to them. You have to know when to walk away. Or to swim away. Not only do we need to purposely pour positivity in our life, as in #1, but we also must limit the negativity. And whatever you do, please walk away from the drama. What goes in is what comes out.
- Set goals. All the thoughts in the world still need action. We must do things on purpose. Set goals. And take action on those goals. Set personal goals. Set business goals. Seeing progress in your life and seeing that your dreams are indeed possible is a wonderful and powerful motivator. It is like a drug, but no drug you can buy. It’s free. Use it. When we are productive in the things that are the way we want to live our lives, we feel empowered to do even more. Setting and achieving goals is an energy and momentum that is contagious, that other people want to be part of. It also changes YOU.
- Make a plan. Right now. Don’t wait. You might forget. Make a list right now of positivity that you can feed into your life. Make a list of books to read, webinars to watch, and podcasts. Make a list of people you especially want to share positivity in their lives. Sharing is easy. When you are filling up your own life, your find all kinds of wonderful things to share with others. It will just start to spill over. If you would like some suggestions, please see my list of favorite inspirational resources.
We have such a gift, a powerful gift to give the people in our tribes, the ones we nurture and care for every day. And even if your children are grown, never underestimate the power of this even in their lives.
“You are the average of the five people that you spend the most time with.” – Jim Rohn
Go be contagious in the best possible way!