If you are looking for some fun and creative ways to spend Valentine’s Day without a date, you are going to love these lists. There is a list for celebrating it with some much needed alone time doing something you love, spending it with friends, your children, and even for thinking of others who may be spending it alone.
I must confess. I am not a fan of Valentine’s Day. I’m not necessarily cynical about love or anything, just a day centered on forced displays of affection with cheesy, meaningless gifts. I mean, how many stuffed bears do we need in a lifetime? And, honestly, I give this day zero thought until I walk through the store to see aisles and aisles of all of the Valentine’s Day paraphernalia. It probably doesn’t help that I’m on a huge de-cluttering kick.
But that is just me. Many people love the day, and want to celebrate…and most importantly do something for others. Do not forget the elderly neighbor who lives alone or anyone else who might be having a rough day.
The one thing that we can all probably agree on is the fact that it is a day that tends to make a woman feel especially alone if she finds herself without a date on the biggest “love” day of the year, especially younger women. I do love certain things about getting older, and things like that not bothering me anymore is one of them. But I realize that we are all at different places on our journey no matter what our age, and some years, things will just bother us. Sometimes even out of the blue when you normally don’t even care. I wanted to offer some other options for those who are feeling a little lonely this Valentine’s Day. And if you are fine, you might know someone who might benefit from these suggestions, so be sure to tell your friends and share it on your facebook wall. Let’s take away its power to make us feel that way this year. It’s easier than you might think. But I love the type of things on this list, so it could just be me.
Creative and Fun Ways to Celebrate Valentine’s Day
Without a Date
Well the first thing to do is to be thankful that you are not spending the day with the wrong person. See? It could be worse.
Be Your Own Valentine and Celebrate YOU
Be your own Valentine…what a great day to love yourself.
Make the day all about YOU. I love spending time with family and friends, but I love spending time with myself, too. Think of those things that you love to do, but tend to never have time for or never make time for anymore. This is the perfect time.
- Give yourself a spa night. Go all out. Bring out the candles, the music, the special bath salts. Throw on a facial mask for your pores while you are in there, and your face will feel like a million bucks when you are finished.
- Curl up in your favorite and most comfortable pair of jammies and read that book you’ve been dying to read.
- Watch your favorite chick flick.
- Create a vision board.
- Paint. It doesn’t matter that you don’t know how. There are tons of youtube videos that will show you how. Fill a wine glass with your favorite wine or juice and have your own painting party.
- Be creative. Creating is so good and nourishing for the soul. It can be whatever interests you. Here are some ideas to get you thinking: photography, make jewelry, paint, write, or even play that instrument that you never have time for anymore. Check the craft/do it yourself category of pinterest, and you will find tons of ideas.
Another way to celebrate Valentine’s Day is with family and friends.
Girl’s Night Out (or In) for Valentine’s Day
It is always a good time for a girls’ night out or in, Valentine’s Day could be an especially good excuse for one. Just be sure to make a rule about there being no “Mopey Marys” that night.
- Order pizza or Chinese or Thai and watch your favorite chick flicks.
- Setup a fun photo booth and get yourself some knew fun photos for facebook.
- Play charades.
- Take a painting class together. There are some great places popping up everywhere that will teach you how to paint a picture and serve you wine while you laugh it up with your friends because none of you has any idea how to paint.
- Mani/Pedi date with your girlfriends.
Valentine’s Day for Single Parents with Children
If you are a single parent and find yourself alone with your children and want to make it a fun night, here are some great suggestions for making fabulous memories. First of all, you are so blessed. This time with children goes by so quickly. Cherish each of these precious moments. Many of the same ideas above will also be great for children, maybe with a few slight modifications. What a fun memory you will make.
- Order pizza or Chinese or Thai and watch a new or favorite movie, maybe even as a special treat, eat pizza and watch a movie in bed. It is like a pajama party in the bed.
- Setup a fun photo booth and get yourself some knew fun photos.
- Play charades, pictionary, twister, or other favorite game or maybe even a new game.
- Mani/Pedi date if you have a daughter.
- Paint. It doesn’t matter that you don’t know how. There are tons of youtube videos that will show you how. Fill a wine glass with your favorite juice and have your own painting party.
- Make a fun craft together. Hit up Pinterest for some creative and fun ideas.
Valentine’s Day….And the Gift of Giving, Let Us Not Forget Others
While, as women, we tend to think about ourselves on Valentine’s Day, be sure to remember the other people in your life who may be spending this day alone. It could be a parent, grandparent, or friend you know who may be all alone and a tiny gesture of kindness could mean the world to them. Sometimes giving is the best gift that we can give ourselves. It takes us out of our own pity party and gives us something good to focus on and do.
- Give a flower in a vase.
- Take them out for dinner.
- Give a beautifully framed quote or Bible verse.
- Give a DVD. Bonus points if it’s funny.
- Take them out for a manicure or pedicure.
- Do a little something that looks like it needs done around their yard.
This day, as with any day, is a great opportunity for making wonderful memories that will last a lifetime.
The most important thing to remember is to have fun, whether you are celebrating your amazing self or spending the evening with friends or your children, make it special. This day is whatever you make it, just never make it a pity party. Always, always celebrate life. We don’t even need a special day for that. Every day is a celebration of life and love. So go forth and… CELEBRATE IT! Be your own Valentine.
Share this article wherever you hang out. You never know who might be blessed. You never know who might be feeling down and would love some fun ways to celebrate Valentine’s Day.