I’m the queen of never having enough time. It makes me feel like a pretty sucky friend sometimes, too. In my defense, I have a lot on my plate. That, along with the health issues that have put me on my back a few times in the last month or so, leaves me exhausted at all the things I’m behind on now. And then you throw a business and holiday festivities. Stick a fork in me. I’m done.
But still. I genuinely care a great deal about my people. Family, local friends, online blogger friends, online photography friends…I love them. They are part of the story I want to tell.
The struggle is real when I have things on my plate that have to be done. People depend on me. Consequences can be high when I drop a ball, which can be quite easy to do anyway.
This led me to start thinking about some ways I could do this even when I do not have time, because at the end of the day, I love my people. A lot. They are good people. I would be devastated to lose one of them. I want to pour into them and soak them in now. Now is the only moment we can live life. And they are part of my story.
Isn’t this what women used to do? It wasn’t so much about playing together as it was they did things together that needed to be done, but it made it a lot easier when you visit with friends while doing it. Women would quilt together, go to local farms and pick strawberries or peas, or shell peas together. OK, Maybe we do not do a lot of the things they used to do, but I bet there are still a few things we can do together.
And then there are only some things that only take a few minutes, but they mean so much.
13 Easy Ways to Make Time for Friends and Family When You Are Busy
- Write a sincere note telling someone how much they mean to you. It really doesn’t have to be award winning poetry. Just a sincere little note like this: “Hey friend! Your awesomesauce always makes me happy. I could not imagine my life without you.” That took two minutes.
- Send an unexpected gift in the mail to a dear friend who lives far away. Amazon makes this ridiculously easy.
- Send an I love you text. How nice is it to hear those simple little words. It means someone thought of you and wanted to tell you how much they care about you.
- Send a silly text. Never underestimate the gift of laughter. Facebook, twitter, and other social media platforms make this so easy now. Feel free to send me a ridiculous text any day.
- Bake something delicious together.
- Go shopping together.
- Spend time enjoying a hobby together. See list of fun things to do.
- Conquer something together (run a 5k, hike, climb a mountain, etc.)
- Learn something new together. Take a class together.
- Volunteer together.
- Become Fitbit friends.
- Exercise together.
- Go to a local event together.
Some of these ideas may seem simple and like they would not mean a lot, but as someone who has been on the receiving end of these things, I can tell you…they mean a lot. A. Lot.
What are some easy and fun ways that you spend time your friends and family?