Oven fried shrimp is so easy….and delicious. There are a couple of tricks to it, though. So be sure to read to the end.
I had been wanting to try oven “fried” food for a long time. I’m from the South, and we love fried food. But, oh my goodness, can it stink up a house. Yuck. Not a fan of that.
I got brave last night and tried oven frying with shrimp, probably one of the easiest things I could have chosen.
Here’s what I did….
Oven Fried Shrimp
Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Dip shrimp in coconut milk. Any milk will do, but I’m lactose intolerant, so this is the only milk we have in the house. It worked fine.
- Cover shrimp in mixture of bisquick, cornmeal, and spices. I used paprika, Old Bay seafood seasoning, and pepper. Flour or your gluten-free flours would all probably work fine.
- Place a cooling rack on a baking pan and spray.
- Place shrimp on cooling rack and spray them with cooking spray.
- Bake for about 15 minutes.
I read the paprika helps with the “browning” color.
And you definitely want to use the cooling rack for cooking them. I remembered this trick when I was researching how to “fry” pork chops in the oven. It definitely made a difference. I placed a couple straight on the aluminum foil-covered pan just to see. BIG difference.
I usually fry mine with just cornmeal, but I think you need a little something more with these when you bake them. But they were still good no matter how you did them. I actually tried it three ways…bisquick only, corn meal only, bisquick and cornmeal. All three were good and were close in taste.